Skip to main content

New Hope

     I interviewed at New Hope in June 2008, after turning down an offer in Noxubee County for fear that I would be another Indianola. Despite not getting a position there when the new tern began, I felt that I would find working with Mr Wright to be a good experience. I would get that opportunity when the second nine weeks started, thanks to the French teacher resigning and a popular Spanish teacher--who had been there since the mid 80s--taking her place. When I thought that this would be upbeat, like my time in Marvell earlier was due to teaching Spanish and not math, I was not prepared for the reality I would face. I was not prepared to teach Spanish III--with several native speakers and a "child of privilege" in there. Neither could I piggyback on Mrs. Friesen's popularity. Most students saw me as merely a substitute until she returned. I also had my first problem with students using cell phones in class. At least I was paid as a regular employee and not as a sub. Of course I was disappointed that Mr Wright did not give me another year and forced me to re-apply if I wanted to come back. At the time I did nor realize I would be in the "wilderness" for the next six years. Going to Sitel made me think I would find purpose there that I seemed to miss in the classroom. Sadly, I crashed and burned after finally advancing out of an entry-level position.

     NOTEWORTHY:  Less than three years after I left, Mr Wright was elected Superintendent of the Lowndes County School District. I applied for other positions there in subsequent years, but they did not materialize.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CCA

     In the summer of 2015, I desperately wanted to prove that leaving Sitel was not a mistake--especially since they did not want to rehire me a few months earlier (They probably felt that I chickened out as an RTA, or maybe I spoke some things they did not want to hear after Pat was falsely accused of petty offenses). I was going to work for a competitor, but turned it down after wanting to desperately wanting to get back into the classroom. Even though Mr Walters acted hesitantly about my abilities, I wanted to show everyone at CCA that I needed to be there. Like so many times in the past, I would struggle after what I felt was a strong start. I was told in January 2016 that I would not be renewed. I felt that the Board was using my health issues to get back at me. I also felt they were biased because I did not attend church at Vibrant. All this time I felt that Walters was over-protective of me. Them forcing me to resign started a downward spiral of wanting to get as far away from

Strider 1.0

     When I signed a contract to teach at Strider in April 2006, I was just looking for a better experience than what I had endured for over six months in Indianola. What I was unaware of was the power that Coach Joe Bradshaw had over the school--as well as Tallahatchie County, the state of Mississippi, and the MPSA/MAIS. The first time I felt this influence was at the end of the 2005-06 year when I subbed; and he felt I was going above and beyond what Mrs Sherry wanted me to to. A few months later he kept me and Pat from moving into our trailer when he promised; we had to spend a month with Leon and Mary while I finally finished a graduate degree in twice as much time as I should have. While I tried to teach to the best of my abilities I was facing harassment, ridicule, and threats from many sides (Bradshaw, Nash, Pitts, Winters, Angie, the Board, and even the "Gentle Giant" Coach Aven). I was getting the picture that Bradshaw was an absolute tyrant, and that he didn't w

Clarendon

     Clarendon, in retrospect, was a job I did not have to take. Since I was only guaranteed employment there while another math teacher was deployed to Iraq, I should have held out to hear from Holly Grove (a smaller school system in a neighboring community that was offering me a chance to teach upper-level math; as opposed to Clarendon where I taught Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebraic Connections). Another option would have been to stay in Jackson, finish at Union a lot sooner than I did, find a teaching job after graduating, and look for another chance at a master's in math at either Ole Miss or Knoxville (I lost a teaching assistantship at State due to my low GPA at the end of 2001-02). Maybe I should have challenged the board when they forced me to resign. At least Mr Thomas was supportive later on when I started teaching at Marvell.      NOTEWORTHY:  I never really liked living in Jackson, TN. Even though enrolled at Union; and even though it was one of the ten largest citi