Skip to main content

CCA

     In the summer of 2015, I desperately wanted to prove that leaving Sitel was not a mistake--especially since they did not want to rehire me a few months earlier (They probably felt that I chickened out as an RTA, or maybe I spoke some things they did not want to hear after Pat was falsely accused of petty offenses). I was going to work for a competitor, but turned it down after wanting to desperately wanting to get back into the classroom. Even though Mr Walters acted hesitantly about my abilities, I wanted to show everyone at CCA that I needed to be there. Like so many times in the past, I would struggle after what I felt was a strong start. I was told in January 2016 that I would not be renewed. I felt that the Board was using my health issues to get back at me. I also felt they were biased because I did not attend church at Vibrant. All this time I felt that Walters was over-protective of me. Them forcing me to resign started a downward spiral of wanting to get as far away from Columbus as quickly as possible. Even being a sub did not give me a sense of purpose. An unfruitful experience with AFLAC after obtaining my insurance license, a job offer as a teacher in a small town near Meridian that was rescinded a few days after the principal offered it to me, and ongoing battles with our landlord seemed to make me hate life even more. Plus I felt continued antagonism from CCA (after they did not believe me that former students were harassing me) and feeling cast aside by churches like New Journey, Wesley, and the giving but liberal UBC.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strider 1.0

     When I signed a contract to teach at Strider in April 2006, I was just looking for a better experience than what I had endured for over six months in Indianola. What I was unaware of was the power that Coach Joe Bradshaw had over the school--as well as Tallahatchie County, the state of Mississippi, and the MPSA/MAIS. The first time I felt this influence was at the end of the 2005-06 year when I subbed; and he felt I was going above and beyond what Mrs Sherry wanted me to to. A few months later he kept me and Pat from moving into our trailer when he promised; we had to spend a month with Leon and Mary while I finally finished a graduate degree in twice as much time as I should have. While I tried to teach to the best of my abilities I was facing harassment, ridicule, and threats from many sides (Bradshaw, Nash, Pitts, Winters, Angie, the Board, and even the "Gentle Giant" Coach Aven). I was getting the picture that Bradshaw was an absolute tyrant, and that he didn't w

Clarendon

     Clarendon, in retrospect, was a job I did not have to take. Since I was only guaranteed employment there while another math teacher was deployed to Iraq, I should have held out to hear from Holly Grove (a smaller school system in a neighboring community that was offering me a chance to teach upper-level math; as opposed to Clarendon where I taught Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebraic Connections). Another option would have been to stay in Jackson, finish at Union a lot sooner than I did, find a teaching job after graduating, and look for another chance at a master's in math at either Ole Miss or Knoxville (I lost a teaching assistantship at State due to my low GPA at the end of 2001-02). Maybe I should have challenged the board when they forced me to resign. At least Mr Thomas was supportive later on when I started teaching at Marvell.      NOTEWORTHY:  I never really liked living in Jackson, TN. Even though enrolled at Union; and even though it was one of the ten largest citi